Use Section Box tool to quickly create 3D view that only shows selected elements or a room or space with the selected element.
This tool is found in the Modify panel and helps you navigate the building model by isolating Rooms or Spaces in 3D views. Select one or more elements and the function will set the Section Box to the containing room/space if the element(s) are in a room/space. If a room/space is not detected the section box will isolate just the selected element(s). If you select an item in a non 3D view, the function presents a list of 3D views and will then isolate the element(s) in selected view – but you will need to open the view manually.
The workflow for creating Section Box by preselecting element:
If you want to keep initial 3D view, first make a copy of a 3D view
- Select an element you want to create section box around in a new view you have created
- Icon will appear in Modify tab. By clicking on that icon section box will be automatically created around the element
Adjust Section Box
This tool enables you to finetune the section box in your 3D view manually either by aligning the section box to a scope box, set the bottom and top to a level or manually enter the values desired. If you start the command from a Plan view you are asked to “pick a window” to define an area to create a section box form. It can also round off existing section boxes and tune the height with to an increment.
Please refer to the images and more information below.
Please Note: You can select elements in any view you want but the intended workflow for both functions is to use a 3D view.
Main tool features are:
- Creating section box around the scope box
- Using elevation levels to set the bottom and top to a level
- Creating section box by manually entering bottom and top values of your section box
The workflow for creating Section Box by Scope box:
Please note that rotated Scope boxes are not supported at this time the function will set the correct section box in height but not rotation.
Create scope boxes in your project and name them.
Open Adjust Section Box tool.
In section “Section Box by Scope Box” click on drop-down menu and find scope box you want to create section box around.
Click on Create New 3D View to create new 3D view named after scope box you have chosen from drop-down menu.
The workflow for creating section box by level:
- Open Adjust Section Box tool
- In section "Section Box by Level" of the dialog you can chose base and top level of your section box from dropdown menu. You can also set an offset on your base and top level.
- Click on Create New 3D View to create a new 3D view named after level name
The workflow for creating section box by manually entering values for lower and upper limit:
- Open Adjust Section Box tool
- Enter lower and upper limit value of your section box. You can increase or decrease your limit value by clicking on arrows on the right side of the box.
Value will increase or decrease by each click according to step value defined below. "Round All Limits to Step" allows you to round off the manual values to step.
- Click on Create New 3D View to create a new 3D view named after entered settings
Notes and tips:
- If you select an item in a non 3D view, the function presents a list of 3D views and will then isolate the element(s) in selected view – but you will need to open the view manually.
- You can select elements in any view you want but the intended workflow for both functions is to use a 3D view.
The Adjust Section Box window has three methods of adjusting your view's section box.
Section box by Scope box allows you to select a scope box to align the section box to. Please note that rotated Scope boxes are not supported at this time the function will set the correct section box in height but not rotation.
Section box by Level allows you to select a lower and upper limit to the section box based on levels. The offset value will tune from the selected level, positive or negative.
- The offset value is sized by the increment below, increment 1000 will increase/decrease the offset by 1000mm at each click.
- Manual Section box allows you to finetune the exact values of the section box, not only height but also X and Y positions of the lower and upper limits to the box.
- Round All Limits to Step allows you to round off the manual values.
- If you start Adjust Section Box from the plan view, you can select an area in the project to create a section box. You specify the area by picking first corner and drag a "window" to opposite corner. The default 3D view is selected and a section box for the area is created.
- Please note that if you start the function with an existing (but disabled) section box, this command will use that section box as a starting point just enable/disable the view's standard section box and then run the command if this is not desired.
- Any changes you make here will be automatically updated and visible on model
- If "Automatically Zoom to Fit" option is turned on, model will automatically zoom to fit your screen any time you run "Adjust Section Box" tool