Naviate for Civil 3D 2020 has the following prerequisites:
- A computer running Windows 10x64.
Autodesk Civil 3D 2020
If you have bought the Naviate product(s), the license e-mail with your unique license number(s).
- Administrative user rights to run the installation.
Getting the installation files
Download and unzip the installation file from your Naviate account at www.naviate.com.
There are four types of licensing for the Naviate products - trial, rental, local and network. If you are using the 30-day trial you can skip this section and go directly to the next.
Rental, Local (SLM) or network (NLM) licenses all require license numbers. When ordering any of the licensed Naviate products your will receive an e-mail with your unique license number(s), automatically sent from our license system.
If you have ordered network licenses you will need to set up a license server service on one of the servers in your local network.
Please follow the instructions in the license e-mail and associated video instruction carefully, and set up the license server before you start deploying the Naviate products on the workstation PCs. When the server is set up, make a test installation of the Naviate product and verify that the licensing is working properly before proceeding with the remaining computers.
Rental licenses need internet access to function properly. If this cannot be set up, another of the license models should be ordered and selected during installation.
Double-click on the MSI file to start the installation. Then follow the on-screen instructions, and note the following:
- When entering customer data, please type in no-nonsense values! The information is used to simplify traceability for efficient support. You will only need to enter the information once since it is shared between all Naviate installations and will be filled in beforehand the next time you run a Naviate product installation.
- Select the proper type of licensing and enter the license number for the correct Naviate vertical supplied in the e-mail. If you are using network licensing, enter port number@server name as mentioned in the instruction video.
The Naviate for Civil 3D installation can be run silently from the command line. The command line syntax is as follows:
msiexec /I “<msi>” <params> /qb
COMPANY=”company” - Company name
NAME=”name” - User/admin name
EMAIL=email - User/admin e-mail
PHONE=”number” - User/admin phone number
LANG=EN|NO|SE - Country code for content. Can be a single country code or combination of codes separated by semicolon.
LICENSETYPE_SUITE=Disabled|Trial|Local|Network|Rental - Selected license type
LICENSENUMBER_SUITE=number - Needed if LICENSETYPE_SUITE=Local|Network|Rental
LICENSETYPE_WATER=Disabled|Trial|Local|Network|Rental - Selected license type
LICENSENUMBER_WATER=number - Needed if LICENSETYPE=Local|Network|Rental
LICENSETYPE_ROAD=Disabled|Trial|Local|Network|Rental - Selected license type
LICENSENUMBER_ROAD=number - Needed if LICENSETYPE=Local|Network|Rental
LICENSETYPE_LANDSCAPE=Disabled|Trial|Local|Network|Rental - Selected license type
LICENSENUMBER_LANDSCAPE=number - Needed if LICENSETYPE=Local|Network|Rental
LICENSETYPE_TRAFFIC=Disabled|Trial|Local|Network|Rental - Selected license type
LICENSENUMBER_TRAFFIC=number - Needed if LICENSETYPE=Local|Network|Rental
LICENSETYPE_AUTOPATH=Disabled|Trial|Local|Network|Rental - Selected license type
LICENSENUMBER_AUTOPATH=number - Needed if LICENSETYPE=Local|Network|Rental
LICENSESERVER=port@server - Needed if LICENSETYPE=Network
UPDATEMODE=0|2 - Disables (0) or enables (2) the UpdateManager. Default is 2
SHORTCUTS=0|1|2 - Disables all (0), enables desktop and menu shortcuts (1) or enables menu-only shortcuts (2). Default is 1.
MANDATORY PARAMETERS AND DEFAULTS
The COMPANY, NAME, EMAIL, PHONE and LANG parameters are, except when updating, mandatory.
The licensing parameters are optional. If no parameter is specified, Suite will be Disabled and Trial will be used for all individual licenses.
If you already know that you do not want to test some of the applications, use the
Suite licensing is used as an alternate licensing method for Naviate Water & Sewage, Road and Landscape. If you have a suite license, use the LICENSETYPE_SUITE and LICENSENUMBER_SUITE parameters, and omit the individual parameters for WATER, ROAD and LANDSCAPE.
Disabling expired trial licenses
The Trial licensing has a 30 day trial period whereafter it will start requiring a license number for continued use. To turn off the license request dialog after the trial period has expired, you need to disable the license. See the "Post-install modification.." section below.
Post-install modification of the installed Naviate product
It is possible to modify the installation after the initial installation. If you for instance need to change the license type, or add another country-specific content pack, open up the Windows Apps and Features dialog and select to Modify the desired Naviate product. Step through the installation dialog sequence and adjust the setup as desired.
Modifying the installation implies changing the machine settings and therfore requires administrative user rights.
If you change the file content of the installation, for instance by adding an extra county-specific content pack, Windows Installer will ask for the original installation files.
If you change the license type from local to network and have an activated local license on the workstation, don't forget to return it to the Symetri Naviate License Server!
The license system prefers local licenses before network licenses, so even if you change the license type in the setup, the local license will be used as long as it is valid.
Local license return is easily accomplished using the Local License Return function in the Symetri Naviate Start menu.
Updates are normally downloaded and installed by the user, through the built-in UpdateManager in Naviate. If central administration of updates are preferred instead, follow these steps:
- Disable the UpdateManager already at the scripted installation of the Naviate product (se above) using
UPDATEMODE=0on the command line to the installer.
- Download the update (MSP file) when it is made available on the Naviate Community site. Install it using a script as follows:
msiexec /P “<msp>” /qb REINSTALLMODE=omus REINSTALL=ALL
In order to enforce proper installation of the Naviate products a number of custom system and configuration tests are run. When running manual installation you will receive a message when any of the tests fails. When running scripted installation, messages are written to the log file if logging is active (see the Microsoft documentation for msiexec.exe) and the installation will generally terminate. The following custom tests are performed:
- Parameter check: Proper values for the parameters listed above has to be specified either from the registry for an existing installation (when updating), or from the command line, or from the user interface. If the parameter set is found incomplete, the installation will will display an error message and terminate. If this situation occurs during scripted installation, the installation will terminate. Check the property dump at the end of the log for parameters with CHECK_FAILED values to target the problem.
- Running AutoCAD sessions check: If one or more running AutoCAD sessions are found, a dialog is presented asking the user to shut them down before proceeding. This is because AutoCAD may lock the access to common Naviate for Civil 3D files that are to be updated. If this situation occurs during scripted installation, the installation will terminate.